Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Attempting to Find My Way through Reading

          So here I am. I'm a soon to be 23 year old trying to find my place in the world, my next step in life and most importantly what my meaning in the world is. I feel like these are things that all twenty somethings ask them self at some point in their life. Us new grads are flung into the world after college with tons of questions filling our brain and no idea how to find the answers. Some of the questions I find my self wondering on a near daily basis include:

-What am I doing with my life?
-Have I made the right career decisions?
-What's in store for me in the future?
-What is my next step in this series of random steps in life?
-Why is the real world so lonely sometimes?
-What is my whole purpose in this life?
-Will I ever know the answer to these questions?

           How does one even go about beginning to answer these questions? I look at them and feel a pit in my stomach. A part of me doesn't want to face those questions yet, but at the same time if I don't start facing them now will I ever? People say that your twenties is time when you most grow, the time when you are suppose to find yourself and find your place in this world. Well, I can tell you one thing for sure. I am almost 3 years into my twenties and still have a long way to go before I know the answer to any of those questions. So in my quest to answer these questions and find my place in this world I have decided to read a book every month. So, I basically googles books all 20 something year olds should read. Surprisingly there are quite a few articles with just lists of books that young men and women should read during their twenties. I composed a list of some of those books as well as other books I have been wanting to read. Maybe, just maybe these books will lead me in the right direction on figuring out my life. Twelve months, twelve books. Here we go.

For those curious as to what I will be reading over the next 12 months, here are the books I decided to read:

1. Gone Girl
2. The Defining Decade
3. Wild
4. Crazy Little Things
5. A Guide To Being Born
6. Never Let Me Go
7. Still Alice
8. Tiny Beautiful Things
9. The Love Affairs
10. Self-Help
11. What She Saw
12. The Rachel Papers

No comments:

Post a Comment