Monday, January 26, 2015

Home

          So for the past 7 months, I've been living on my own, building my career and creating a life in Nashville, TN. It hasn't been easy, but I always figured it was something I would just power through, as long I as kept looking forward it would get easier. That's how it's suppose to go right? It's like the little engine that could, you keep saying "I think I can, I think I can" until you reach the top of that hill and it will all get better. Once you reach the top you can look back on how far you've come. But what if once you reach the top of the hill, you come to find that another hill is waiting for you. So, you just keep chugging along determined to make it to the top. The problem is, sometimes saying "I think I can" to yourself is just not enough. Sometimes, you just need to hear it from someone else.

           We live in a time when young adults are told that we are suppose to be independent, do things on our own. We are suppose to find our own niche in the world and not rely on others to do that for us. I think this is creates a problem that many young people face. We are afraid to ask for help, because admitting we can't do it on our own makes it seem as if we are a failure. However, sometimes we can't do it on our own. Sometimes we just need to hear someone say "you can do this" or "I'm here for you if you need me." I have found myself in this situation recently, trying to be independent and do everything on my own. I was chugging along ignoring any problems, putting them on the back burner hoping they would stay there, until they didn't. 

          I've realized you can only put so many feelings and thoughts on the back burner before they begin to boil over. When this happened last week I had two options: ignore it and keep moving forward or just take some time, go home and realize that I can't always do this on my own. It didn't take long for me to decide on the latter and drive 5 and a half hours back to my parent's home.  It's like the Andy Grammer song, "No matter where we go, we always find our way back home." There is no shame on turning to your parents when you need help or someone to tell you everything will be ok, even if you are supposed to be a 22 year old "adult". Not much can compare to waking up in your childhood room, laying around watching movies with your parents, and having your mother make home cooked meals for you.

So lesson learned this week: Even if you are 22 and suppose to be an "independent, working adult" there is no shame on going home to your parents' house when you are feeling a bit overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment