Saturday, January 26, 2013

Something Worth Fighting For!

          I want to take a minute or two to talk about how amazing my friends are here at SLU. I am not sure if you have heard about it, but there is a foundation called St. Baldrick's Foundation which is an organization that aims to raise money to find a cure for childhood cancer. The way that they raise money is that people become a shavee and pledge to shave have their head shaved and people pledge money for that person. Childhood cancer has always been an interest of mine, and is becoming a passion of mine. I babysit a little girl, Ari, who was diagnosed with Stage IV neuroblastoma when she was only three years old. She is now 7 and still fighting after treating cancer and then going back into remission. She has gone through multiple rounds of chemo, and continues to fight her battle with a smile on her face and a laugh that fills the room the joy. Her positivity and determination amazes me everyday and has really made me begin to look at life differently. It is partially because of her that I am thinking of becoming a pediatric oncology nurse after I graduate, and I am hoping to be on an Oncology Unit at Children's Hospital later this semester for clinicals, but I guess we will have to just wait and see. I know that people believe that it will be an emotionally and mentally hard field to go into, but I know that I am the type of person who could do it. I know there would be times that it will be really hard and sad, but there will also be some very rewarding times, and just knowing that I could help these little children with their fight, nothing sounds more amazing and rewarding to me. Here is a picture of me and the sweet little girl I get to babysit for! Please send some prayers up for her as she continues to fight her battle!





         
          We need to do something about this! That is one of the things St. Baldrick's is trying to do. They are raising money to help find a cure and begin the ripple effect. This year my friends Dede and Audrey are both going to be shavees at the St. Baldrick's event on March 9th. (I couldn't work up the courage to do it this year, but maybe next year, who know...) Even though I won't be shaving my head, I will be there cheering them on!! I am so incredibly proud of both of them and their courage and willpower inspire me! 




Dede's statement on her Donation Page:
"I am so excited to be joining the St. Baldrick's Foundation! I have known about the               foundation for three years now, but I never once believed I could have the strength to shave my head. I gladly join the list of shavees now, knowing that the action of shaving my head has the potential to instill hope in the hearts of cancer patients and inspire others to donate and fight for a cure to childhood cancer. My internship at the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children's Medical Center in Dallas and my Student Nurse Clinicals on the Hematology/Oncology floor at Cardinal Glennon here in St. Louis gave me first hand experience with cancer patients and their struggles. I want to honor their battles through my participation. As this experience will definitely challenge myself, I am glad my beautiful friend Audrey will be a shavee as well. I cannot wait to see the benefits of this event!"
 -Deirdre Harvey

Audrey's statement on her Donation Page:
"Cancer is one of the worst things that could happen to a family. However, in the past few years, I have seen so many AMAZING people knock the socks off of cancer. First, from my friend Bucky in high school, who wasn't content just to beat the disease himself; now he is an inspiration to kids from all over with his fundraising and awareness building. My friends Hannah and Lionel (a cancer survivor herself), who shaved their heads for cancer led the way. Finally, with my time at Camp For All, I was able to meet and hang out with a ton of inspiring kids with cancer and their siblings. Those kids were unstoppable--they are fighting with everything that they have in them, and they still have the energy and positivity to laugh, smile, and be goofy. These kids, and all of the people at camp, are really the reason why I am trying to raise money for childhood cancer."
-Audrey Von Borstel

           If you are wondering if you can help, YOU CAN!!! You can pledge to Dede and Audrey!! I know that you may not know them, but that shouldn't matter. I promise you that they are both such amazing and generous and courageous young women!! Any amount of money will help!!! Please please please help fight the fight against childhood cancer and help find a cure! Below are the links to both Audrey and Dede's St. Baldrick's Profile. If you feel like you can donate, please do!!!







New:
My roommate Emily O'Brien is also shaving her head for St. Baldrick's and letting us do it!! I am super proud of her!! Meet Emily.


Emily's statement on her Donation Page:
"I've answered the call to be a hero! I'm letting my 12 wonderful housemates shave my head to stand in solidarity with kids fighting cancer, but more importantly, to raise money to find cures. I may be a one-shavee show, but I'll be just as bald – and I hope you'll cheer me on with a donation! The St. Baldrick's Foundation is a volunteer-driven charity that funds more in childhood cancer research grants than any organization except the U. S. government. Your gift will give hope to infants, children, teens and young adults fighting childhood cancers. So when I ask for your support, I'm really asking you to support these kids. Thank you! Click "Make a donation" to give online, or donate by phone or mail."
-Emily O'Brien





No comments:

Post a Comment